Wednesday, August 26, 2009

1932-2009

[photo credit: Getty Images]
"I've benefited from the best of medicine, but I've also witnessed the frustration and outrage of patients and doctors alike as they face the challenges of a system that shortchanges millions of Americans." Let's get it done for Teddy.

My message to the Kennedy Family: Shortly after the murder of President John Kennedy, my mother bought a photograph book of the Kennedy family. I was only ten years old at the time, but I still remember looking at the album and the deep emotions it caused me to feel. For me, Ted Kennedy became like a distant grandfather because I never knew my own. When he experienced difficulties in his life, I took them as inspiration to overcome my problems. When I attended the 1992 convention as a delegate, I felt as if his speech was directed personally to me. When he looked into the balcony of Madison Square Garden as if searching for someone, I thought he was looking for me, and I found myself nodding in recognition. That was the kind of man the Senator was. He made me and millions of others feel part of a peaceful nation, a loving family, a righteous cause. His presence in the Senate will long endure his physical absence. He will be sorely missed by heads of state, legislative colleagues, and ordinary Americans who loved him. Thank you for sharing him with us.