Saturday, May 19, 2007

Open Reply to Senator Gordon H. Smith

Dear Senator Smith:
Thank you for writing your letter to me of April 20, 2007. I apologize for the delay in responding to you, but I received your letter while on vacation. I too am concerned about Iran's efforts to obtain a nuclear arsenal and nuclear proliferation in general. Iran should comply with the United Nation's resolutions concerning it's nuclear program and I support the sanctions imposed. But I believe it is helpful to see that nation's arms program in the context of the current Middle East crises. The Palestinian peace process has collapsed. Iran's regional adversary possesses a nuclear arsenal. The US is currently occupying a neighboring Shiite nation. It's military alliance, NATO, is conducting operations against terrorists near Iran's eastern boarders. Understandably, Iran's fundamentalist leaders could consider the situation provocative.

Unilateral military action against Iran is neither feasible, given the current over extension of US military forces in Iraq and Afghanistan, nor would it ultimately be successful. A US strike would provoke a widespread regional conflict that could escalate to the use of nuclear weapons in defense of Israel. I continue to urge diplomacy and direct dialogue with regional powers to seek a tolerable arrangement for the future of Iraq and Palestine.